If you have been through divorce then you must be knowing what goes on in a divorce court. If you going to a divorce court for the first time, then it is normal to have last minute nerves. All you need to do is to listen to your attorney, and prepare for the hearing and you will be fine.
The first thing you need to take out from your mind is that whatever happens in a divorce court is not a battle or war. It is a legal process in which both the parties make the case, argue on different issues such as property, alimony and child custody, and then the judge gives a decision.
Given below are some of the helpful tips about divorce courts:
• There is old saying, “first impression is the last impression.” So make that count. Court hearing is a formal affair so you need to dress in a dignified way. Attorneys suggest that while coming to a court hearing, dress up as if you are going for an important interview. There is no point wearing a dress exposing your legs or a leather jacket full of holes. Impression is important but make sure to dress for success and not for the big impression.
• Be courteous with your spouse and be honest with the lawyer and the judge. If you are hiding something from your lawyer or not telling the truth to the judge, then you are more likely to lose something unless there is a clear proof of a misappropriate act done by the other party. It is seen that people often take divorce court as an opportunity to get back at their spouse; if the other person did wrong with you, then it is okay to be angry. But then court house is not the place to take out your anger. The more honest you will be, the more honest you act, the better impression you will leave.
• A judge has all the authority in the court house. Being smart with the judge or trying to explain everything of your story will not help any way. If your case is being represented by an attorney, then don’t speak if you are not asked to. If you are representing your case in the court then only speak when asked. Make your words count and do not waste the court’s time.
• There is a common tendency seen in court house that people turn on their people pleaser instinct. This is wrong. If you have gone to the court to testify, then make sure you behave professional. There are tons of such incident when people start guessing or speculating in the court room and end up getting themselves in trouble. Guess answers is a strict no no while testifying . If you don’t have the answer to a question , say no and then button your lips.
• Listen to your lawyer and follow all the steps that your lawyer tells you to. Also stay quiet if they ask you to and do not try to contradict them if it is a legal matter. Its okay that you hire an attorney because you are paying that person for their experience in the court room.