Ask almost anyone if they are afraid to go on a blind date and you can almost be sure the answer is yes. The fact is that the majority of single people never accept the offer of a blind date as they fear the unknown. Truth be told, there are many disadvantages to blind dates. However, there are also many advantages. In today’s post, Gay Parship has come up with the pros and cons of blind dating, to help you make your mind up. Let’s get started!
Pros of Blind Dates
There are a few people who prefer blind dates over anything else. They love the mystery and the intrigue that comes along with it. The following is a list of some of the other advantages that come along with this type of dating:
- A blind date is a great opportunity to acquire new friendships. Not all of your blind dates are going to be successful, but if your friends believe that you and someone else would be perfect for each other, at the least, you could end up with another friend. The fact that you both had enough in common for others to want to see you both together may give you an advantage toward a special friendship.
- You may just have a blind date that leads you into a serious relationship. Love at first sight may not be something that everyone believes in, but the truth is that it does happen. Some people simply hit it off immediately and refusing to go on a blind date means that you could be missing out on something great.
- If you are shy and find yourself lacking dating experience, going out on a few blind dates could give you some great practice. It can help you to learn how to speak to strangers and to get over some of your own shyness with others, especially people of the opposite sex.
- Along with the possibility that you could meet a special someone, blind dates give you the chance to get out of your home and do something different. Instead of sitting at home alone on a Friday or Saturday night, you can go out and not be lonely.
Cons of Blind Dates
As stated prior, there are some people who live for blind dates. However, the majority of people prefer to avoid them at all costs. They will come up with every excuse in the book why they refuse to go out with someone they have never met. Their reasoning is that it is simply too risky. The following are a list of cons that may be the reason so many people refuse to do it:
- People worry that the person they are set up with are dangerous or may become obsessed with them. While there is always a risk, to be safe make sure that the person who is setting you up is someone you can trust. Obviously, if you just meet someone and they say you would be perfect for a friend, be leery. Only go out with people that your true friends recommend.
- A lot of people are simply shy and do not want to risk being humiliated. What if that person sees you and walks the other way? What happens if they don’t show up? Whatever you choose to do in life there is going to be a risk of getting hurt or humiliated. This is what you need to remember when you are offered the chance of going out on a blind date.
- Another disadvantage of blind dates is that you might just have a terrible time. Not everyone is a good matchmaker and, even though your friend thought you might be perfect for one another, it might just be a disaster.
Blind dates are not for everyone. However, if you are single and are just looking for something to do, they could just be the answer. All you have to do is take precaution and practice dating safety. On the other hand, if you find the list of cons is simply too much for you to deal with, there are many other ways to meet people, including online dating sites and joining a singles network.